Dual Enrollment for High School and Home Schooled Students

Get a head start on your education!

Dual enrollment allows qualified high school students to enroll in college coursework while still in high school. According to the U.S. Department of Education, college credits earned prior to high school graduation reduce the average time-to-degree and increase the likelihood of graduation. For parents, it is a chance to reduce future college expenses by shortening the time to college graduation.

Ready to get started? In order to be admitted to the Thomas Nelson Dual Enrollment Programs, which include On-Campus Dual Enrollment, In-School Dual Enrollment, and Early College programs, students must meet certain criteria. Dual enrollment is restricted to high school juniors and seniors and home school students studying at the high school junior or senior levels. All students must demonstrate readiness for college, meet the applicable college placement requirements and course prerequisites, and address all other college admission criteria. Home school students must also provide a copy of a home school agreement approved by the school district or a letter from the local school board or a copy of the letter filed by the parent/legal guardian declaring home school for religious exemption. Documentation of parental permission is required for all dual enrollment students.


What is the difference between In-School Dual Enrollment and On-Campus Dual Enrollment?

  • In-School Dual Enrollment is offered by Thomas Nelson in partnership with Hampton City Schools, Newport News Public Schools, Poquoson City Schools, Williamsburg-James City County Public Schools, the York County School Division, New Horizons Governor’s School, New Horizons Career-Technical Program, Hampton Christian High School, Peninsula Catholic High School. Through In-School Dual Enrollment, eligible high school students can earn both college credit and high school credit for approved courses taken in their home high schools. Upon completion of dual enrollment courses, students are eligible to receive Thomas Nelson transcripts.
  • On-Campus Dual Enrollment allows high school students to take college credit courses on the Thomas Nelson campus. Students (including home-schooled students and students from other service areas) may dual enroll on-campus if they meet college prerequisites/requirements with the permission of their high school principal. Tuition for On-Campus Dual Enrollment is the full Thomas Nelson tuition rate. Local school divisions determine whether students may also earn high school credit for On-Campus Dual Enrollment courses.

What are the benefits of Dual Enrollment?

  • High school credit and college credit are earned at the same time.
  • College credit is transferable to most Virginia colleges and to other public colleges and universities.
  • Dual enrollment entitles students access to Thomas Nelson campus resources including the College library and other learning and technology resources.
  • Dual enrollment courses taught in the high school introduce students to the rigor of college-level work.
  • Dual enrollment can save time and tuition, providing affordable college credit for high school students.

Who is eligible for Dual Enrollment?

  • Students must be a high school junior or senior.
  • Students must have parental and high school principal permission to register for dual enrollment courses.
  • Students must meet admissions criteria and prerequisites established by Thomas Nelson.

What is the process for In-School Dual Enrollment?

  1. Apply to Thomas Nelson online. Upon completing the application you will be assigned a Thomas Nelson Student ID number, also called an EMPLID. Write down and save this number in order to complete the following steps.
  2. TEST for eligibility or provide SAT, ACT, PSAT, or Math SOL scores. Qualifying scores for admission to the program are shown below. Thomas Nelson provides the Virginia Placement test at no charge to students. It is very important to take the placement test seriously and practice beforehand. Practice is available on our website. If possible, the test should be taken in two parts due to its length. You must take your Thomas Nelson ID# & a photo ID to the test session and identify yourself as a DE student. Students who have all or some of the qualifying scores on the above chart will not need to take that portion of the test. Students should bring copies of their scores to the Admissions Office, room 208 Griffin Hall in Hampton, or to Student Services at the Historic Triangle campus.Students wishing to take MTH 163, 164, 173, 174, 180, 240, 277, 285; CHM 111, 112; PHY 241, 242 must take the math placement test regardless of standardized test scores. These courses are generally offered at the Governor’s School for Science and Technology.
  3. REGISTER for the course. You must register each term for a new DE course. After you have applied and taken the placement test, your DE teacher will give you a DE College Registration Form at the first class meeting. Complete, sign, and return this form to your teacher (with tuition check or money order made payable to Thomas Nelson, if applicable-no cash).
  4. Once you have registered, you can confirm your dual enrollment (and request/view a transcript) by logging into your myTNCC account. Have a successful semester and get one step closer to that college degree!

What is the process for On-Campus Dual Enrollment?

  1. Apply to Thomas Nelson online.
  2. Complete the permission form found here. This form requires a signature from an acting school official.
  3. Take the college placement test or submit official SAT/ACT/PSAT or SOL scores.
  4. Make an appointment with a Dual Enrollment Coordinator at the Hampton Campus to register for classes, or see an Advisor at the Historic Triangle Campus in Williamsburg.
  5. Bring an official transcript including a graduation date verifying that you are a high school junior or senior. A transcript is considered official when it is in an unopened envelope and signed by the acting school official.
  6. Home schooled students only present one of the following: 
    • For students home schooled under religious exemption, submit a copy of the “Letter of Intent to Instruct” submitted to the school division in which the student resides.
    • Otherwise, submit a copy of the acknowledgement letter sent by the school division each year.

How do I complete the Thomas Nelson online application?

Students must answer the following questions correctly so their application can be processed.

Section 1: Personal Information

  • Q: Which college do you plan to attend?
  • A: Thomas Nelson Community College
  • Q: In what type of classes will you be enrolling?
  • Q: What campus will you attend?
  • A: Hampton Campus

Section 5: Educational Goals

  • HS Stdnt – HS & College Credit (041)

Section 6: Domicile Questionnaire

  • You must complete the domicile section.

What In-School Dual Enrollment Courses are available?

Students interested in In-School Dual Enrollment should talk with their high school counselors and teachers about dual enrollment opportunities in their high school.

What will it cost?

In-School Dual Enrollment: Local school divisions receive a discounted tuition rate.

On-Campus Dual Enrollment: Each course costs the current rate for tuition and fees. Dual Enrollment students are not eligible for financial aid.

What is the difference between Dual Enrollment and Advanced Placement (AP)?

To earn college credit for an Advanced Placement class, a student must take a national AP exam at the end of the year and score at least a 3 or higher to earn college credit. Many colleges and universities require a 4 or a 5 to receive credit. Dual enrollment credit is based on daily performance and testing conducted in the classroom. A student must earn a “C” or higher grade to accrue college credit. After the completion of the course, dual enrollment students may request an official Thomas Nelson transcript to be sent to the college of their choice. Most courses with a “C” or higher will transfer but students should check with the college of their choice regarding transferability.