Schedule your Virtual Advising Appointment through Navigate
Thomas Nelson has agreements with the four-year colleges and universities in the state of Virginia. Developed jointly by representatives from the Virginia Community College System and the four-year institutions, these agreements allow the community college student to complete the equivalent of the first two years of an undergraduate degree by completing an approved transfer degree at Thomas Nelson.
These degrees allow students to complete their first two years at Thomas Nelson, earn an associate degree, and transfer to a four-year institution to complete a bachelor's degree.
Virginia’s community colleges offer students more than the opportunity to earn a degree or certificate; they provide a gateway to the Commonwealth’s four-year colleges. Through system-wide negotiated agreements, students who graduate from a Virginia community college with an associate degree and the minimum grade point average required by the four-year college are guaranteed admission to many of the Commonwealth’s colleges and universities.
Institutions with Guaranteed Admission Agreements with Thomas Nelson
James Madison University
Christopher Newport University Captains Connection Program (Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems, or Information Science –Cybersecurity)
Virginia Wesleyan University
Western Governors University Nursing Program
Western Governors University Information Technology
Old Dominion University
- Associate of Applied Science in Administration of Justice to Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
- Associate of Applied Science in Computer-Aided Drafting and Design Technology to Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Associate of Applied Science in Dental Hygiene to Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences
- Associate of Applied Science in Dental Hygiene to BSDH Post-licensure Online Program
- Associate of Applied Science in Electronics Technology to Bachelor of Science in Engineering Technology
- Associate of Applied Science in Fire Science to Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences
- Associate of Applied Science in Human Services to Bachelor of Science in Human Services
- Associate of Applied Science in Information Systems Technology to Bachelor of Science in IDS-Cybersecurity
- Associate of Applied Science in Information Systems Technology to Bachelor of Science in Occupational and Technical Studies
- Associate of Applied Science in Management to Bachelor of Science in IDS-Leadership
- Associate of Applied Science in Mechanical Engineering Technology to Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Associate of Applied Science in Nursing to Bachelor of Science in Health Services
- Associate of Applied Science in Nursing to Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Guaranteed Transfer Partnership Agreement
Virginia Community College Transfer Grant
Students entering a Virginia community college after 2007 have an opportunity to receive up to $3,000 annually upon transferring to a four-year institution. Eligible institutions may provide an additional $1,000 award to students who transfer beginning in fall 2015. Eligible institutions include Norfolk State University, Old Dominion University, Radford University, the University of Virginia at Wise, Virginia Commonwealth University, and Virginia State University.
Students must complete a transfer associate degree with a 3.0 grade point average and meet financial eligibility requirements. The grant will be applied to tuition expenses at a four-year Virginia college or university, either public or private. The grant provides $1,000 for all eligible students, with an extra $1,000 for students who pursue undergraduate work in engineering, mathematics, technology, nursing, teaching or science. Learn more about the Virginia Community College Transfer HERE.
Things to consider when transferring to a four-year college or university
- What is your chosen career
- Which colleges/universities offer that degree
- What degree at Thomas Nelson matches that degree
- Is there an articulation agreement with the school of your choice
- What courses need to be taken at Thomas Nelson and in what semester
Steps to transfer to a four-year college
- Meet with an Academic Advisor during your first semester to discuss transferable degree options.
- Review the four-year college admission website to obtain transfer related information to include articulation agreements, guaranteed admission agreements, and co-enrollment agreements with Thomas Nelson and the VCCS.
- Review the transfer guide and college catalog for the institution of your choice. Become familiar with the minimum transfer GPA, minimum credit hour requirements to be considered a transfer student, transferable courses, application deadline dates, and letter of intent.
- Attend an Open House/Transfer Day for the four-year institution you are considering.
- Inquire about the application deadline dates for the semester you are planning on transferring in advance.
- Complete the application and any supporting forms (mid-term reports, instructor evaluations/recommendations, college official’s report, etc.) for submission to the four-year institution by appropriate identified deadline date. (Most colleges prefer online applications.) Remember that most colleges require an application fee and official transcripts from previously attended institutions. Request your official Thomas Nelson transcript from the Admissions, Records and Registration Office in Griffin Hall, room 208. Some institutions require high school transcripts and SAT/ACT scores, too.
Articulation within the Virginia Community College System (VCCS) is a dynamic process. The most reliable source of transfer information is the admission office at a four-year college. Students are encouraged to take a proactive role in confirming transfer information. For college-specific transfer information contact a Thomas Nelson Academic Advisor or admission office of any Virginia community college or four-year university & ask for a transfer guide.
Transfer Student Resources
- Transfer Virginia
- BestCollege.com: Transfer Student Guide
- CollegeTransfer.net: College Transfer Simplified
- Federal Student Aid: Resources for Transfer Students
Four Year Institutions Transfer Webpages
Things to look for while browsing:
- How to apply?
- Application deadline
- Open House Dates
- Transfer Scholarship Opportunities
- Transfer Equivalency Tables
- Contact Information for Transfer Admissions Representatives
- Art Institute of Virginia Beach
- Averett University
- Bellevue University
- Bridgewater College
- Christopher Newport University
- College of William & Mary
- Eastern Mennonite University
- Ferrum College
- George Mason University
- Hampden-Sydney College
- Hampton University
- Hollins College
- James Madison University
- Jefferson College of Health Sciences
- Kaplan University
- Liberty University
- Longwood University
- Lynchburg College
- Mary Baldwin College
- Marymount University
- Norfolk State University
- Old Dominion University
- Radford University
- Randolph College
- Randolph-Macon College
- Regis University
- Regent University
- Roanoke College
- Saint Leo University
- Shenandoah University
- Sweet Briar College
- The University of Virginia Wise Transfer Admission
- University of Phoenix
- University of Richmond
- University of Mary Washington
- University of Virginia
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- Virginia International University
- Virginia Military Institute
- Virginia State University
- Virginia Tech
- Virginian Union University
- Virginia Wesleyan University
- Washington and Lee University
A Letter of Intent is an application requirement for some four-year institutions that participate in a Guaranteed Admissions Agreement. It is a signed agreement to provide evidence of your interest and intent to transfer to a specific institution. It gives the four-year institution an opportunity to establish a relationship with a prospective student to facilitate a smooth transfer process. Refer to the Guaranteed Admission Agreement for the school of your choice to determine whether the Letter of Intent is required.