Veteran Services has Relocated!
We are now located in Wythe Hall, Room 230 (outside the library doors). We will be meeting with students on a walk-in basis. We look forward to seeing you!
Veteran Services Policy and Procedure for using VA Education Benefits
Students who wish to utilize VA Education Benefits must submit a Certification Request for VA Education Benefits form to Veteran Services each semester. New students or students using VA Benefits for the first time, must also submit confirmation of application for VA Education Benefits. The VA will issue a Certificate of Eligibility after processing the VA Application for benefits. This Certificate of Eligibility must be submitted to Thomas Nelson’s Veteran Services Office. Student using Veteran Readiness and Employment (Chapter 31) benefits must have the VR&E Counselor submit authorization to Thomas Nelson for each semester the student wishes to use the benefit. Students who receive VA Benefits under Chapter 30, 1606, or 35 are required to have a valid method of payment for tuition and fees prior to submitting the Certification Request for VA Education Benefits.
- Veteran Services Policy and Procedure
- COVID-19 and VA Education Benefits: Frequently Asked Questions
- Thomas Nelson Veteran Services and COVID19: Frequently Asked Questions
- Rate of Pursuit and BAH Information for Post 9-11 GI Bill Recipients
- Fall 2021: Courses Converted from On-Campus to Online Due to COVID-19 (updated 6/30/21)
- Refunds, Credits and Reinstatement as a Result of Military Service
Forms for Veteran Services
- Steps for Using VA Education Benefits at Thomas Nelson Community College
- Certification Request for VA Education Benefits
- Veteran Services: Policies and Student Responsibilities
- Hampton Campus: Wythe Hall, Room 230
- Historic Triangle Campus: Suite 117
Phone: (757) 825-3442
Overview of VA Education Benefits
There are various VA education programs available, all of which have their own unique qualifying criteria and rates of payment. These programs do not pay a student’s tuition (except for Chapter 31 and Chapter 33), instead; students pay their own tuition and then receive monthly benefit payments from the VA. Eligible students may apply for advance payment of benefits and also take advantage of the college’s tuition payment plan. The VA benefit amount is determined by the student’s training time. The VA established levels of training time are: “full”, “3/4”, “half”, and “less than half”. Refer to the Training Time Equivalency Table for specific information. Benefits for students training while on active duty and those training less than half-time are limited to the amount of tuition and fees paid. As the number of credits determine the payment amount, it is absolutely essential that students immediately report all changes in enrollment (drops/adds) to the college’s Veteran Services Office.
Need additional information?
- GI Bill Comparison Tool
- Ask Questions and Find Answers directly from the VA.
- Email your questions to Thomas Nelson Veteran Services Office at email@example.com.
- VA’s work study program (video)
Comments and Suggestions
Our goal is to provide timely and accurate information and services. Please email us your comments and suggestions so that we can better serve you.